April is National Poetry Month! We’re going to have fun with this one…
Week 1 –
“Remind students that they are under no obligation to “understand” the poem. They just have to be able to notice things, ask questions, and make connections.”
- Discuss poetic devices – overview
We’ve actually discussed alliteration, onomatopoeia, similes, and personification before. We’ll use this worksheet (free) to review the terms. We’ll identify these poetic devices in the poems we read throughout the month. We completed a “Poetic Device Scavenger Hunt” using our poetry collections we got at the library.
- Library trip – we’ll check out a variety of poetry volumes from the children & adult shelves (Call number 811)
- Color & laminate OOPS! bookmark from Shel Silverstein website (free).
- Review 25 Types of Poetry printout (free). Use to identify types of poetry as we read throughout the month.
- Complete Poem Review page (free) for favorite poem of the week.
- Weather poem with onomatopoeia