Butterfly Unit Study
Spring is in full bloom here – just ask my allergies – so it is a perfect time to do a unit on butterflies! Our local zoo has a beautiful butterfly garden exhibit that should be open and make a great addition to our unit.
- Introduction video – The Story of the Butterfly (Amazon Prime). We’ve discussed butterflies and their life cycle before but videos are always welcome for breaking into a subject.
- Library Trip – We have books due (and we’re out of milk) so we’ll take a quick trip to the library (and grocery) for our books for the week. (See resource list below.)
- Butterfly Fact Bookmarks (TPT freebie)
- Making Words from “butterflies” (TPT freebie)
- Look at butterfly species cards from the Homeschool Share Butterfly Lapbook (free).
- Explore Butterfly Info app (Android)
- Use library books to research and complete butterfly research report outline on chosen butterfly species(TPT freebie)
- Probably our field trip day (weather permitting). We’ll see how many butterfly species we can recognize in the butterfly garden.
- Butterfly symmetry worksheet (TPT freebie)
- Monarchs and migration – PBS NOVA special (Amazon Prime video) & Migration library book
- Write reports on chosen butterfly (rough draft & final draft on butterfly lined paper. (Mine is from a book of reproducible papers I picked up a consignment sale. Free versions online here and here.)
Extras to fit in / add
- Music rhythm patterns printable and activity (TPT freebie)
- Watercolor butterfly lesson or tissue paper mosaic/ collage
Book List (with call number – non-fiction – and link to books on Amazon.com if available):
- National Geographic Reader: Caterpillar to Butterfly by Laura Marsh – 595.789 MARS
- Butterflies by Seymour Simon – 595.789 SIMO
- The Migration of a Butterfly by Tanya Kant – 595.789 KANT
- Easy Animal Origami by Christopher Harbo – 736.982 HARB
- Butterfly Tree by Sandra Markle (Monarch migration related)
- The Butterfly Jar by Jeff Moss – 811 MOSS (still poetry month for a few more days!)
- Butterfly Buddies by Judy Cox